by Juanita Lovret
Reprinted courtesy of the Tustin News
BUILT BETWEEN 1908 and 1915 on Irvine Ranch property at the corner of
Browning and Laguna Road, this home was moved to Second Street in Tustin in
As commercial expansion and the building of freeways have made it necessary
to either tear down or move many Tustin houses, a number of homeowners have
opted to relocate their residences into Old Town.
The house at 435 Second St. and the Edgell house at 345 Main St. are
excellent examples of homes that have been moved.
The house on Second Street was built between 1908 and 1915 on property owned
by the Irvine Co. on the northwest corner of Browning and Laguna Road.
Although the house was probably intended to be used as a residence for one of
the Irvine Co. managers, it was purchased in 1917 by Margaret Ahern and her
husband. Her grandson Drenan acquired title to the home and the surrounding 20
acres of oranges in 1946.
The house was sold to H. H. Hannaford when construction of the Santa Ana
Freeway threatened it in the early 1950s. Hannaford had the house moved to its
present location where it was placed beside a huge California sycamore already
on the lot.
Members of the Hannaford family continued to occupy it for some 20 years. The
character of the 1 ½-story Crafstman bunglow-style house has been altered until
the dormer and gables are the only significant Craftsman elements remaining.
The original windows have been replaced and a single story addition has been
built on the west side. Brick-clad square columns now support the recessed front
porch and used brick wainscoting has been added to the lower third of the
facade. A double garage at the rear has clapboard siding and wooden doors.
Despite the alterations, the house is considered one of the finest examples
of the Craftsman style in Tustin and fits harmoniously into the neighborhood of
The Dutch Colonial Revival at 345 Main St. was built about 1905 at Laguna
Road and Orange Avenue for about $1,600 by P. W. Swartz, his brother and two
carpenters, using a rough sketch drawn by Mrs. Swartz. Charlie Bowman, a local
fumigator, bought the house about 1919 and enclosed the front porch.
Two years later he sold his 10 acres of oranges including the house to the
newly formed Tustin Union High School District. The original Tustin High School
was built and its first principal, J. Worthington Means and his family, moved
into the house.
After he died in 1940, Mrs. Means bought the house from the school district
and had it moved to its present location. The three lots it occupies were
originally the site of an 1880 Victorian, which burned.
The. Means family continued to live in the house until 1974. The present owner,
Nancy Edgell, has made many improvements including an addition on the east side,
which doubled the original square footage.
The house is surrounded by a beautiful garden with a swimming pool. The large
oak by the front walk is estimated to be at least 200 years old. The entire site
is surrounded by a wrought iron fence with brick pillars.