Vintage Photos - Santa Ana Naval Air
Station / Marine Corps Air
Station Tustin - Lighter-than-Air (LTA)
Base with Blimp Hangars
This base was built
in 1942 as the Santa Ana Naval Air
Station. The blimps were used to patrol
America's coastline primarily to watch for enemy
submarines. We will be posting more
historical information on the blimp hangars
The "Santa Ana"
designation was included because it was located
in unincorporated territory.
According to some sources, in the early 1950s
the facility was known as "Hangar City" during a
period between being operated by the Navy and
then the Marines. Later the name was changed to
the Marine Corps Air Station Tustin.
Most of these photos are from
the collection of the Tustin Area Historical
Society. A few are from the Library of Congress.
More information on the LTA base can
be found at